All Topics / Help Needed! / Need help-what to do?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of LConnorLConnor
    @lconnor

Hi,

My name is Connor, I am new to this site and have found it very helpful so far. Property investment / renovating has been an interest to me for many years. I always read API magazine, read property investment books and have done a number of courses over the years (the property school), to continue to further educate myself on property.   

I guess the main purpose for this interest, is to have money work for me and have my portfolio grow to create wealth to make life easier for now and for in the future. But I also love looking / searching for property and all aspects of building and renovating, if i could i would do it full time. 

I have a PPR (high set 3b, 2bath, pool – I was an owner builder) is on an acre of land 20min from Cairns QLD CBD. The property was recently valued between $680 – $690k, I owe the bank $520k on the mortgage.

I have also been recently left in a will $80k and a house on land in Port Pirie South Australia.  I expect the house in its current state would struggle to fetch $150k and the attaching half acre block would struggle to fetch between $70k-$100k (because of the over supply of vacant land in that area). The house and land are owned outright. The market in SA is flat, so i have been told by agents, because of the uncertainty of industry in the city (the smelters) and surrounding area (.Olympic Dam Project).

The house is a 3 bed, x 1 bath (brick) 1950s style house, in need of a renovation (big time).  The house is situated on 1 acre of land, which is sub divided into two half-acre lots.

I want to make the most out of what I have inherited to generate income to either 1) pay the remainder off my $520 mortgage  OR 2) allow me to purchase properties to increase my portfolio (either keep/hold/rent or renovate/sell).

1. I could renovate the house (add new bathroom/kitchen/paint/new floorings), there is the option to create a 4th bedroom with spare space and add on a car-port /entertaining area off the side of the house end value ($200K)? How much should I spend? I thought $20k?

2. With the remaining half-acre next door, I thought perhaps:

• Selling it with the house and push the house up to the $250k mark?

• Build a new home on it and then sell it? I have not done the figures on this yet and the tax issues.

• Subdivide the half-acre block and build x 2 new homes and sell them.

Obviously there are a lot of options and im doing my head in trying to decide which option is going to be the best method of creating the larger profit to pay off the above $520 loan, and then invest.   The house (not the attaching land) also has a sentimental attachment to me it’s the family home of 4 generations, and the land for some 6 generations. So one part of me wants to keep only the house and rent it out @ $200pw, but then I loose out on CGT down the track if I want to sell it.

The market is flat, there is nothing happening in the town. I have until April 2013 to decide what im going to do. I recently went to my accountant to get some advice and he effectively told me not to waste my time on property investing as he as seen too many people loose everything, this has really put me on a downer. 

I have a sore head and a lot to think about, any ones thoughts / experiences or a plan of attack, for me would be appreciated. 

I look forward to anyreplys.

Connor

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hey Connor,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for making your post.

A little tip… you'll get more replies if you write shorter posts smiley

Geez, your accountant wasn't much help, was he?

I think you are on the right track weighing up your options. The investing mantra is: make the most money, in the quickest time, for the least effort.

You also need to consider the opportunity cost. In this case it is the interest you could save if you sold and paid down debt.

My gut feeling is that, given the market is flat, value adding is probably quite risky. What will bring the market back to life? When might that happen?

Before you do anything though, you need to sort out the key emotional issue: are you ready to sell (given the family history)?

Finally, bear in mind it takes many months for a subdivision to be finalised, so it might be smart to get that underway soon if you want to pursue that option.

– Steve

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of LConnorLConnor
    @lconnor

Hi thanks for your feedback.

Firstly I apologize for the long winded post, I have also given alot of thought to all the issues you raised. The property was sub divided in the 1950's so i can put that to rest and as for the emotional attachment I have put that to rest as well.  

I do want to sell, but I guess its a numbers game on what i do to get the best return and secondly what the market dictates at the time of sale.  I will have 2 years to sell the property after September before CGT kicks in, so i have a bit of time to plan ect.

I think i need to research more.

Connor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.