All Topics / Legal & Accounting / DFT vs Individual…the same old dilemma

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of amyhunzamyhunz
    Participant
    @amyhunz

Hi everyone,

In the absence of an accountant who's gone on holidays for 2 weeks, I need some advice. We have had an offer on a second IP accepted so are needing to move forward.

From everything I've read on this and other forums, the decision of DFT vs Individual name is very personal to one's circumstances. I'm beginning to think for my circumstances, there's no one 'right' way to go.

After a conversation with our accountant, we were thinking 'yes' to a DFT structure, however now I'm starting to rethink.

Here's a run-down:

IP1 – Joint names, current value $370k (conservative) and debt of $253k. Eligible to be classed as PPOR under the 6-year rule. Neg geared but will not for too much longer.
    IP2 – ??? Offer accepted on a unit in regional NSW for $145k. Allocating an additional $20k for renos. We believe will be neg geared for up to 5 years.

PROS for DFT (from what I can gather):
    @font-face { font-family: “Cambria”; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: “Times New Roman”; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

• Asset protection – although creditors (banks) can still take property
    • Income distributed to family members in low tax bracket – what is the threshold for minors before they are taxed?
    • Flexibility – can distribute income to leverage the best tax outcome
    • Still get the CGT discount of 50%
    • Extra deductions that can be claimed as a trust

CONS for DFT:
    @font-face { font-family: “Cambria”; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: “Times New Roman”; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

• Expensive to set up ($3,500) and run (approx $1,000/annum)
    • Losses are carried forward and applied to income – what does this mean exactly? We don't have an income until losses are off-set against future income when it does become cf+? So there's no income to distriubute until losses have been off-set?
    • Pay land tax!
    • Set-up costs are not tax deductible – check
    • Can’t negatively gear
    • Company trusts are NOT eligible for CGT discount of 50% – is a co. trust the same as a DFT with a corporate trustee?

As you can see, I have a few questions about trusts.

I'm swaying towards NOT using a trust (rather joint names) for the following reasons:

• We would like to think we will purchase a number of neutral/cf+ properties in the future, however we need to sit down and map this out and we're lacking the time right now…we're also a family with young children so don't really have the resources to focus on building a portfolio in the immediate future. We still want to build a portfolio, just not in the short term. If we had this mapped out and we were actively working towards it, I would suck up the costs and go with a trust now with a view that it will pay off at some point.
    • Why not use up the land tax threshold? Currently IP2 would only use up a relatively small amount of the $387k NSW threshold. In saying that, paying land tax on IP2 wouldn't be huge either.
    • Our plans for IP2 are to spend $20k immediately on renos – wouldn't we be better utilising the deductions through negative gearing (in the initial years esp)? Husband in 38c tax bracket.
    • The cost of setting up a trust has been quoted to us at $3,500 (corporate trustee), then I'm estimating $1k every year to maintain…seems a lot to me for something that will be neg geared for up to 5 years.
    • Not being eligible for CGT discount (co. trust) – I may be misguided here.
    • My husband is a Paramedic – I suppose open to being sued like anyone else in the med profession (obviously we have insurance for this) but still a possibility and may benefit from trust protection. But no businesses or anything that would lend itself to litigation against us.

I realise there's a lot of figures/forecasts we need to crunch to get a clearer picture, however without an accountant around, we're trying to make the most educated decision in a short time-frame.

I should add that I am not working and won't be for approx 5 years.

Maybe there's no 'right' answer, but I'd love for anyone with knowledge in this area to help me work through my questions and fill me in on anything I've missed.

Thanks,
    Amy

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Hi Amy,

There is no right or wrong answer, and as you have pointed out, there are positives and negatives for using a trust or solely in individual names. Some thoughts re: your post:

1) A trust can be set up for about $1200 – $1500, and annual costs could be anywhere from $500 upwards, depending on your record keeping skills and how many properties the trust owns. $3500 to set up a trust is way too much.

2) Minors, thanks to the low income rebate, can receive $3000 in the 2009-10 tax year before any tax is payable. I think the figure for the 2010-11 tax year, but it has increased to $3333.

3) Losses carried forward. What this measn is the trust shows a carried forward loss, which reduces income in future years. If the property was in individual names, the loss of the IP would be offset against other income in the same year.

4) Setup costs are deductible over a 5 year period, or 20% per year.

5) A trust is eligible for the 50% CGT discount, regardless of whether a company or individual is acting as trustee.

Asset protection is a MAJOR benefit of a trust with a corporate trustee. What you need to ask yourself is whether the asset protection is worth giving up the negative gearing and the extra cost of accounting / set up costs etc.

For example, my share of the accounting practice I part own is held in a trust, but the IPs I own with my wife are held in individual, joint names.

Profile photo of amyhunzamyhunz
    Participant
    @amyhunz

Ok that's great Dan, thanks. Yes, it seems we will have wins and losses no matter what path we take.

Can I clarify, when your children are of an age to be earning a decent wage and no longer great for dividing income amongst, is it easy to change the beneficiaries around? Or what would you do?

Also, are losses treated the same whether the trust is set up as an individual or corporation/ company?

Thanks again

@dan42

No problem.

Yes, the $3000 tax free is to children aged under 18. After that, they are taxed as an adult on all sources of income.

Yes, the losses are treated the same regardless of whether a company or individual is the trustee.

Participant
    @amyhunz

So a child who becomes an adult earning a high income, thereby becoming not very useful when it comes to minimising tax…I guess you just work the numbers and allocate them a small portion of the income…

Thanks Dan

@dan42
    amyhunz wrote:
    So a child who becomes an adult earning a high income, thereby becoming not very useful when it comes to minimising tax…I guess you just work the numbers and allocate them a small portion of the income…

Thanks Dan

We tend to find that the adult aged kids are even more useful for distribution of income. Generally, they may have some part time income, so they can get a larger distribution tax free than they could receive as a minor.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

An adult can earn up to $16,000 pa and pay no tax. This is great for those with one family member not working.

Beneficiaries of a trust cannot be changed without a resettlement and huge tax costs, but you will find that the class of beneficiaries is very wide so you will not need to change anything.

Also think of the long term benefits.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @amyhunz

OK that makes sense, thanks Terry and Dan.

So you can add beneficiaries without penalty down the track…? Or when it's initially set up have those family members nominated/ specified?

Terry – 'long term benefits'…you're alluding to the income and CGT benefits of trusts? Are there any benefits of trusts that I'm not considering? I want to try and understand them as best as possible. I've briefly read about property trusts/ Hybrid (benefits of neg gearing) but these seem rather complicated and not favoured by the ATO…I don't want to get into hot water at any point.

Am I wrong in suggesting that unless a property is neutral or in a cf+ position OR you have the intention of building a portfolio of IPs with the view to have them cf+ then trusts are really just an expensive structure for someone with say, up to 3 IPs of a relatively small value? (i.e. our 2 IPs are only valued around $420k collectively).

Thanks everyone, most helpful.

Amy

Participant
    @terryw

Hi

You can’t add beneficiaries without causing a resettlement. This will mean a new trust being formed with cgt and stamp duty again.

By long term benefits I mean it will only be negative short term so the tax advantaged will soon come. Plus cgt and other benefits.

Other benefits include asset protection and estate planning. Trust assets do not form part of your estate at death

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @amyhunz

OK thanks everyone. My final question is more a clarification on trust losses.

Say the trust had a cumulative loss of $10k over a number of years. The next year it makes a profit of $20k. The $10k loss is subtracted from the $20k, leaving a net profit of $10k, which is then distributed to the beneficiaries accordingly and taxed at their personal income tax bracket.

Correct?

Participant
    @terryw

That sounds about right.

But to be able to carry forward the losses the trustee would need to make a family trust election and this has an affect of reducing the beneficiaries to close family members only.

Email Me

Participant
    @amyhunz

OK thanks again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.