All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice to invest in own property

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of huzeyhuzey
    @huzey

Hi all,

New to this forum – was recommended by the good people at Whirlpool – this site looks great :)

I would like to invest in my own property. I’ll give you a little run down.

I do not intend to boast, but I am very fortunate to have obtained a large property on the water in Newcastle through inheritance. It is a 2 story brick house which could “easily” and cheaply be turned into a split level rental ($100,000-$125,000 could do this, I already have quotes for this). It just needs updated bathrooms, an upstairs kitchen, and a wall or two put in. In comparison, properties behind our block, with lesser views are pulling about $550/week(refer to the large yellow square on the right in picture – it has been developed, Google Earth is behind :P). I believe I could charge similar to this or more for each level.

This is the plan that will most likely become reality soon, there is much I do not know regarding council, tax, etc, so if anyone can shed light on this it would be appreciated.

Then there is my big plan/dream, to knock down and rebuild a 4-6 story apartment complex, other developments have been put up around my block, so I don’t see a huge problem with council. This is clearly a lot more money($1m +), a lot more risk and a lot more involved, but rewards would be far greater. I know timing is important, and I would wait till the other developers have sold their blocks and the area is in demand.

Here is a picture of the property and developments around us that have since been built : http://img218.imageshack.us/i/property.jpg/

I have read business/motivational books from many authors, and ALL suggest to “Think Big” and back it up with action, which I am willing to do providing this is a feasible project.

Please if anyone can give information regarding this, it would be greatly appreciated. Currently my work towards this non tangible, simply gathering information from as many reliable sources as possible.

Thank you :)

Profile photo of DetroitDan9DetroitDan9
    @detroitdan9

Huzey,

What would it rent for if you did not turn it into a split level?

Have you thought about renting it out as is for around $750/mo for a while? That would allow you to become more comfortable as a landlord and cash flow in the process.

-Dan

Profile photo of angelinsydneyangelinsydney
    Participant
    @angelinsydney

Hi Huzey,

I agree with Dan, rent it out and get some money rolling in while you are doing your RESEARCH.

What you can and can’t build on the land does not depend on your what your neighbour was able to do on theirs. First, you’ve got to check with Council re zoning,.

The question you posed can best be answered by the town planners, not by forum members.

Before you touch the building, CONSULT with COUNCIL. Best advice I can give.

Take care.

Angelina

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.