All Topics / Help Needed! / forward planning in the next six months

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of dazza2dazza2
    @dazza2

have been living in my current place of residents for 4 years purchased the property @ $309K, got the loan down to $170K then refinanced the loan to purchase a block of land for $185K and now deciding to build on this, which will result in a seperate mortgage with renting out the current property.
    i have a few questions in mind

1. refinanced mortgage planning to switch to interest only as this property will be investment only
    2. new mortgage will consist of principal and interest of approx $220k
    3. for tax purposes can i only claim interest payments on the $170k before the land was purchased as surplus funds within the loan were used to purchase the block of land? or is there a creative way of making the $170k higher
    4. would it be advisable to put forward a proposal to the bank for the rented property to demonstrate viability and how would i go about doing this

planning to do this within the next 6 months with a combined income of $120K, are the suggestions above feasible.

thanks for your help

Darren

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

To answer question 3, yes, your deduction for interest is limited to the interest on the $170k to buy the first property. Interest deductibilty is determined on the purpose of the loan, not the security offerred.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.