All Topics / Finance / FHB questions: buying a property with cash, and <$100k mortgage

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of alexz1011alexz1011
    Participant
    @alexz1011

Hi, first time poster here and still a newbie. Please excuse the silly questions I have.

I am looking to buy my first property before the FHOG expires on 30 June. I have targeted a few properties with purchase price around $440k – $500. As I am not financially very stable yet (just started working), my dad wants to help me out by giving me $370k cash. The rest of the purchase price, $70k – $130k, will then be financed through a mortgage. It is also not impossible that my dad could pay for me the total amount of the purchase price, which means I will then not need a mortgage at all.

My questions are:
    – What are the implications if I purchase a property with cash without a mortgage? Is it bad or good? I read somewhere that it has tax implications, but I do not quite understand it and do not know how to relate that in my case. FYI, I am currently working with salary of $45k pa (just started on January).
    – If I pay the property with cash and not a mortgage. How do I claim the FHOG? Is this something I have to do myself?
    – Is it normal for people to borrow less than $100k for a mortgage? I guess so. Silly me. It is just that I had always heard people borrowing a much larger amount of money (> $200k).
    – Assuming I am to borrow $70k – $130k, does anyone have any recommendation on a home loan product out there that suits my situation? I do not need a package product maybe as I am trying to avoid the annual fees. But I am also looking to pay off the mortgage as soon as possible. So I will probably arrange the term of the loan to be shortish (maybe 4-5 years). Anyone has any recommendations? I will probably need to talk to a broker, but I am just trying to gain as much information as I can at this stage.

Any replies appreciated. Thanks!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Alex

Firstly welcome to the forum and you are an enviable position.

To answer a couple of your questions raised:

What are the implications if I purchase a property with cash without a mortgage? Is it bad or good? I read somewhere that it has tax implications, but I do not quite understand it and do not know how to relate that in my case. FYI, I am currently working with salary of $45k pa (just started on January). Nothing wrong in paying cash or having a small mortgage on the property as you can always look to use the available equity to raise funds for a deposit on your first investment property.

If I pay the property with cash and not a mortgage. How do I claim the FHOG? Is this something I have to do myself?

There is nothing to lodge your lodging the FHOG application yourself  (just make sure you have complied with all of the requirements as you wont have an appointed agent to check it for you).

Is it normal for people to borrow less than $100k for a mortgage? I guess so. Silly me. It is just that I had always heard people borrowing a much larger amount of money (> $200k). No not normal at all as most people dont have a father who is so generous. Most FHB struggle to come up with a deposit so cant buy their ist IP for years as the gradually build up their equity base.

Assuming I am to borrow $70k – $130k, does anyone have any recommendation on a home loan product out there that suits my situation? Remember what may suit your situation now may not suit your situation in the future especially if you want to buy further investment properties.

I do not need a package product maybe as I am trying to avoid the annual fees. But I am also looking to pay off the mortgage as soon as possible. So I will probably arrange the term of the loan to be shortish (maybe 4-5 years). Anyone has any recommendations?

Probably need a few more details to comment but a standard no frills typed loan would seem to be the way forward.
    As i said you need to think not only now but in the future as well.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of bfantasticbfantastic
    Participant
    @bfantastic

OK here is a reply from a mortgage broker, would love your business But in all truth here is a suggestion.

With your age and length of employment, no bank is going to look at you for any size loan in this climate, you will need to wait for things to change or you have more than two year continued employment.

If your Dad is willing to put up the money and for your to get the FHOG he will need to certify a letter signed by a solicitor or a statuary Declaration signed by a JP, to say that he has gifted the money to you and requires no repayments in return.

Then go and buy the property for cash, even if it means looking in the lower price range do so you don't want to be in debt if you can help it.

For you to get the FHOG you will have to do this yourself it is easy enough and as long as you have contract exchange before the 30th june you can claim the extra. All you will need to do is type in FHOG au in Google and it will take you to the website and follow the links to NSW forms, downloan and print off. if you need any help with this just email me and I will send them over.

As far as tax is concerned your Dad will need to talk to his accountant about the gifted money and what it means for him. but there is nothing stopping you form buying with cash, IT IS GOOD.

Once you have bought your new property and have moved in, you now have a wonderful unencumbered property you can now use, with your Dad's help as security for your new investment portfolio.
    This I can most differently help you with LOL

Cheers

Participant
    @qlds007

Sorry have to totally disagee with Alan.

Unless i missed it you did mention your age however even if you were only 18 you have no issue in obtain a loan of the size you mentioned. I could quiet easily place that with several lenders at extremely compettiive rates.

Also given the equity could also initially set up the Line of credit for you at the same time to enable you to fund a deposit for your first IP.

Profile photo of BootlaceBootlace
    Participant
    @bootlace

Alan i have to disagree with you on a few points.

Pending any probationary period that may be in place, i'd say that alexz1011 would certainly find mainstream financiers would lend the amount in question. There is certainly sufficient income to service a loan of that size (unless there are other large debts we are unaware of) and with a very low LVR, most lenders would see this as very low risk (assuming a satisfactory credit history). Many lenders like to see at least a portion of the deposit as being 'genuine savings' but in a scenario such as this i dare say the strings could be pulled a little. You also mention age, i may be missing something but i cannot see the OP listing their age, only that they are a 'newbie'. Age generally is not a factor, in fact it is an offence to discriminate on the basis of age. One thing i could suggest is perhaps the OP could be in their position for a little longer in order to consolidate the application. Even 3 months looks better than 2 on an application, if you had a property in mind perhaps you could negotiate a longer than normal finance clause in order to be in your position a little longer when you actually formally submit?

It's not a given that finance could be obtained, it depends on credit history, previous field of employment (if any) and so on, but i'd strongly disagree with the With your age and length of employment, no bank is going to look at you for any size loan in this climate, you will need to wait for things to change or you have more than two year continued employment statement.

As for being eligible for the FHOG, whether or not your father gifts you the deposit, or expects repayment, has no direct effect on eligibility as far as i know. As long as your father does not have an 'interest' in the property, you will be eligible. The OSR (or equivalent) does not concern itself with the origin of the deposit, rather it looks at whether all relevant parties are eligible.

I can't comment on taxation implications, but as far as financing the property goes, you should have no problems at all. As for the FHOG application if you pay cash for a property, it is a simple matter of having a few documents witnessed by a JP, signing a few papers and posting the application off and having the funds arrive in your bank account within a couple of weeks.

Good luck, and all i can say is i wish i was in your position when i bought my first property!

Jamie

Profile photo of alexz1011alexz1011
    Participant
    @alexz1011

Thanks for the replies guys.

My dad has also just called to say that he could only afford giving me exactly $360k. No more. So I need to get a mortgage of around $100k. Any of you could recommend some home loan products for me to consider that might suit a loan of $100k? I have some savings of $40k, I am now earning $45k pa.

I want to pay off the mortgage asap, and I want to avoid paying any annual fees if possible. I know I have to talk to a broker regarding this kind of thing, and I will actually. It is just that I am trying to understand how is everything at this stage so the next time I can be less stressful, and know something more.

Thanks.

Participant
    @bootlace

Beaten to the punch by Richard. My apologies!

Best you listen to his advice rather than mine anyway :P

Participant
    @bootlace
    alexz1011 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys. My dad has also just called to say that he could only afford giving me exactly $360k. No more. So I need to get a mortgage of around $100k. Any of you could recommend some home loan products for me to consider that might suit a loan of $100k? I have some savings of $40k, I am now earning $45k pa. I want to pay off the mortgage asap, and I want to avoid paying any annual fees if possible. I know I have to talk to a broker regarding this kind of thing, and I will actually. It is just that I am trying to understand how is everything at this stage so the next time I can be less stressful, and know something more. Thanks.

With savings of 40k, you will be absolutely laughing…

Obviously there are a multitude of brokers out there willing to offer their services, but if my opinion counts for anything i'd certainly recommend you at least speak with Richard. He is one of the few brokers around that really understand property (and structuring finance to suit) as opposed to basically just selling you a product. He also volunteers considerable time and freely offers advice on this forum (and others).

Please note this isn't a personal recommendation as i have never personally dealt with Richard, but there are many happy clients on this forum alone.

Participant
    @bfantastic

Sorry for assuming alexz1011 is a young person. When mentioned "just started work and Dad will help me"
    and  In my defense: yes you are right any bank will jump at this LVR only thing that may be a hiccup is the work history. But I have found that the banks do put different conditions on younger applicants.

[If your Dad is willing to put up the money and for your to get the FHOG he will need to certify a letter signed by a solicitor or a statuary Declaration signed by a JP, to say that he has gifted the money to you and requires no repayments in return.]

Sorry this should read: [If your Dad is willing to put up the money and for your to get the FHOG then fine.]
    [Alex will need to certify a letter signed by a solicitor or a statuary Declaration signed by a JP, to say that he has gifted the money to you and requires no repayments in return.] thank for pointing out the typo i will be more careful in future.
    Yes you don't need the letter to apply for the FHOG but it is a save guard to prove where the money came from.
    But if you are looking for finance you will most certainly need this letter just in case they ask where the money comes from.

Alex I do not know what the circumstances are to why you are wanting these particular properties at this particular price range, and  I will strongly recommend you not go into debt if you can help it, where you have to pay for it. If there is nothing set in concrete may I suggest rethink your strategies and options for a purchase price of $360K + $14K++ = $380K++ plus, your $40K can be used furnish the house and move you in. then look at taking out a loan when you own the property and use that as a deposit on a IP as Richard suggested. But I would use a basic mortgage rather than an LoC.

Now we have found out that Dad is going to fund only up to $360K and and your heart is set on this price range then you will need finance. Find finance for the full amount required $70-$130 and use the $40 to move in. Then anything left over put it back in to your mortgage.
    Product recommendation, would be a basic mortgage with one of the 2nd tire lenders that has no fees, free redraw and allows you to makes extra payments at no cost. Even though these are P&I products they can almost be use like a LoC but at a much lower rate.
    Ask the mortgage Broker you are going to use if they know of these products and if they stear you away, go some where else that will do the right thing by you.

Cheers

Participant
    @qlds007

Again hate to disagree with Alan but i am unsure whether he realises the Tax implication of using a redraw facility on your main PPOR loan.

Without question as a Financial Planner i would tell you that you need to keep the loans separate.

Yes there are many competitive basic rate products at around sub 5%.

With regards to source of deposit i can think of 2 mortgage managers who offer exceptional Base Rate products that do not ask where the deposit has come from. As long as the loan is not mortgage insured (Be wary many small 2nd tier securitised lenders mortgage insure every loan irrespective of the LVR) you cannot go far wrong.

On a separate note thanks for the endorcement Bootlace. I like to think as a fellow investor myself with a small portfolio ….. here in Brisbane i do now after 20 year plus in the industry what investor require and it more a suitable structure rather then a cheap loan product.

Participant
    @bfantastic

Hi Richard.
    as far as tax is concerned here we are now talking not two different loans. but  we are talking about two completely different scenarios for Alex.

1. Alex goes into Bad debt and buys more expensive property!
    Dad lends Alex $360K and Alex Borrows $70-130K purposed to purchase owner occupied property $440-$500
    He gets $14k from FHOG and has $40K to pay for all moving in costs. What's left over goes into the redraw of the loan.
    In this scenario there is no mentioned about tax as there is no rebates on owner occupied. Alex pays around $167 per week for the next 30years.

2. Alex Has no debt but has to do with not such an expensive house that may need some improvements and has a chance at setting up a good debt investment portfolio!
    Dad lends Alex $360K and Alex applies for FHOG $14K purchases property $370K cash. Uses $40K for moving costs.
    Once Alex has moved into the property and want to look at investing Alex then uses the property as security and set up a loan for the deposit..The loan no matter what the product can be used tax effectively as it's purpose is for future investment, ask your accountant how to structure it to make sure.
    In this scenario Alex has a choice either stay debt free or go into good debt where someone else will help pay for it.

Which scenario would you recommend?

I am sorry if you misunderstood my posting I hope this has cleared this matter.

Cheers

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Richard and Alan

I'm a bit curious.
    Neither of you recommended that Alex learn about offset accounts.
    Is that because you fear she may be too young to be financially disciplined ?

For future flexibility it seems like the way to go, specially in her situation of having a huge deposit.
    In 5 years time she may want a bigger house and want to keep the current one as an IP.

Sorry Alan, …….. for what it's worth Alex I would also suggest a chat with Richard.
    I don't think you can find a better qualified MB.  

Cheers
    Elka

Participant
    @qlds007

Elka

Not at all i think you are aware of my virtues of an offset accounts however with such a small loan balance the cost of maintaining an account is unlikely to worth either the higher rate of interest or the monthly costs involved and given the approximate loan balance think a base rate loan would be preferable.

I would then look at bolting on a separate investment line of credit so that Alex can use this to fund deposits and acqusition costs for future IP's.

Participant
    @bfantastic

Elka

I agree with Richard about offset accounts and the loan structure of a basic mortgage for Alex.
    I never recommend off set accounts to anyone you are far better off putting any extra money straight against the principle in a free redraw facility making sure you have direct access to that money at no cost.

I never deputed Richard's credibility as a MB I have been reading alot of what he has been doing in here and you guys are very lucky he has decided to devote his time and we should all thank him very much and say nice things about him to keep him coming back his knowledge is invaluable to us all,

On this matter the only thing I would change on what Richard has said about is the Type of product.Unless you are intending to move large and contentious amounts of money in and out of your account there is no need to use a LoC If Alex in the future wishes to buy IP then a new basic loan would suit the purpose and be far more cost effishent.  

Participant
    @qlds007

Of course one big disadvantage of a 2nd Base rate loan for the IP deposit and acquisition costs is that you are charged interest from the day the loan is drawn down and unless you have a property in mind the figure you want apply for will not be known.

Nothing to stop you taking the LOC (which is most cases will cost you nothing to set up done properly) and then you have a defined property in mind switching part of the loan to a separate base rate IP loan.

Bit messy but might save you 0.01% or so pre tax.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Actually, my thought was for Alex to get as big a loan as possible and negate most of it by using an offset account.
    However, I don't know how big a loan that can be given the short work history, and size of income though the $40K savings history may help. 

"I never recommend off set accounts to anyone you are far better off putting any extra money straight against the principle in a free redraw facility making sure you have direct access to that money at no cost."

In the scenario that Alex in the future wants to buy a bigger PPOR while keeping the old one as an IP, the redraw method is just not tax effective Alan.

I didn't recommend Richard to "butter him up" and keep him coming back to help us.

As I am totally unqualified to discuss mortgages I will now gracefully back out of this discussion.

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

The offset account might be slightly expensive… but worth it in the long run especially if you are uncertain about the future… I admit I myself make a 'big' mistake.. because of stupid broker

Profile photo of alexz1011alexz1011
    Participant
    @alexz1011

Thanks guys! Really really appreciate all the replies!

If you are still interested (I hoped!), I have some further update to announce.

Well, it turned out, that….well…the amount of money that my dad can provide me has now decreased to $112k (it was $370k before). And this is really final. (I know I said ‘final’ before, but now this is really the final of the final, sorry!). Turned out that his business needed more money than he thought originally. Can’t really blame him, it is fortunate enough for me to have him as my dad.

So….that means….I now have $40k savings + $110k gift to finance my target property of around $450k.

So how would you guys recommend me to structure the mortgage given the figures? As my income is only $450k pa, I estimated I could probably only borrow of $310k. So I will need $140k to pay upfront, which I assumed is already high enough to avoid LMI. Now to get the $140k, I think I will take $30k out of my savings + $110k dad’s gift. The rest of my savings $10k, I will use to move into the new property. What do you guys think?

In terms of the loan product, by the sounds of everyone’s opinion, it looks like having an offset account will be beneficial in the long term than not having it. So I will take that advice.

I came across the HSBC’s new discounted rate (see http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/fiftiesrate?WT.ac=AUH_hl50sratehpsm0409). Has anyone seen it yet? I think they just released it today. I am seriously considering taking it. I asked about it via the phone briefly. Basically they said exactly everything as advertised. The ad does not mention about offset account, but the lady on the phone said you can arrange that. It has a monthly fee of $20 though.

What do you guys think about the product? Any catch? Any recommendation on other products? I think I now have some features in mind that I wanted my home loan to have (based on people’s inputs from this forum). Basically, extra repayment at no cost, 100% offset account, redraw is not a must, and if possible no on-going fees. Any other suggestions?

Participant
    @qlds007

Considering HSBC have pulled out of the residential lender market bar the shouting and sold their loan book to First Mac i think it a matter of grasping at straws for business at any costs.

Crunching the numbers and being aware of their old lending criteria i would have been suprised they would have qualified you for such a loan amount.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.