All Topics / Help Needed! / Adding value through renovation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of aliyeealiyee
    Participant
    @aliyee

Hi guys,

Just want to find out what other people's opinions are on this issue.  In regards to adding value to a property through renovations, which one of the following is more effective.

1) adding a deck which opens out from the living area, or
    2) improving the landscaping of the backyard, which is mainly leveling and paving in our case.

Any comments are welcomed.

Thank you

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I think the deck would appeal more to people from an emotional point of view. But also landscaping is important to produce a complete package.

A lot of landscaping can be done on a shoestring budget so perhaps try to do that as well. If the paving is looking like a big cost then maybe do as much landscaping you can by just being resourceful and using your own time. Instead of paving look to cost effective alternatives.

I have a small rear access double driveway & yard area that i would like to pave but it will not be worth the cost for the area this property is in. So only blue metal is getting put down to clean and tidy the area up.

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Yes definately Ali go for the deck.This is relatively cheap and adds heaps of value if you open the property up.
    I have just done one and doing another soon.Im no builder but found it quite straight forward.

I would use a couple of french doors from bunnings too.(they are $159 each)
    If you are handy and can knock it up yr self with a couple of mates the materials for a say 5.5m by 3metres deck would be
    around
    retail
    $700 for the joists and bearers (hardwood or treated pine )
    $700 for hardwood mabu top planks
    $700 for 12 steel posts
    $500 for a ready made railing
    allow $300 to dig posts (we hired a jackhammer but hopefully youll just need a post hole digger at $150)
    and to modify the house doors.
    $400 max for a new lentil and timber for wall (and allow another $400 for extra gyprock etc )
    $318  for french doors
    and if its in nsw and above
    a metre off the ground youll need council approval
    allow $300.
    so for a few grand youll prob add at least $15k if not more depending on area and view !

Then you can do a few bits yrself using a bit of pine bark blue metal ,grass and some sleepers to tidy up the yard

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.