All Topics / Finance / interest only (sorry) – does it really differ tho?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

In looking at the banks "how much will my repayments be" calcs. It seems that interest only doesn't make much of a difference in the weekly repayments?

What are your thoughts on this?

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

It is a fact that the minimum principal payment required by the lenders is low.

What sort of thoughts are you after?

Profile photo of dj_siekdj_siek
    @dj_siek

Hi Simon,

Well for instance if i go to a standard loan calc on the net. and punch in:
    Loan Amount: 250K
    Int: 7.25%
    Length: 25 years
    Freq: Monthly
    Repayment Type: Interest only

Monthly repayments: $1510.42

and

Loan Amount: 250K
    Int: 7.25%
    Length: 25 years
    Freq: Monthly
    Repayment Type: P&I
    Monthly repayments: $1807.2

That extra 300 bucks is not a big monthly diff at all really is it? id rather pay that extra and be paying off the debt.

Thanks

Joel

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If your are paying PI on an investment property, than that is $300 extra that could be coming off your home loan instead = saving you interest and tax.

Or

If you have no home loan, that is $300 extra per month that you could be using to pay for further investments.

All depends on what you want to achieve.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Joel

It seems to me that to get the best of both worlds and the most flexibility you would take out an IO only loan with a 100% offset account. You would then put the extra $300, or better still, everything you earn, into this account. All your household and other expenses could be paid out of this account but while the "expense money" is there, it saves you interest.  

That way you are saving yourself interest by "effectively" reducing the loan and at the same time keeping your funds free for further investing. You can always use these saved funds to make a lump sum repayment at the end of your IO only period if you should want to.

The other advantage is that if it's your PPOR that you are currently buying and you turn it into an investment property at any stage you can simply use these saved funds in the offset account to buy your new PPOR. All the interest being charge on your original loan would then be tax deductible.

I think ANZ has a loan for up to 30 years where you can pay IO only for up to 10 years with 100% offset. I don't know if that's the best one but either Simon or Terry certainly would.  

Hope this helps 
    Elka

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.