All Topics / Help Needed! / New landlords in Brisbane – self management q’s

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of MrMagoosieMrMagoosie
    @mrmagoosie

We’ve just purchased our first IP in Brisbane and we are looking at managing the tennancy ourselves.

To give a run-down of the property:-

• property is within 2 km of where we live (I know this is a no-no but we know the market very well and were able to obtain an excellent price)
    • existing long-term tennants who wish to stay
    • tennants currently on month-by-month while property was on the market
    • settlement is mid-Dec 2006
    • property currently managed by Real Estate

As it’s our only IP and is close to where we live we are more than happy to:-

• Collect Rent
    • Deal with any maintenance issues
    • Complete relevant forms (lease, condition entry/exit, bond etc.)
    • Manage paying expenses (rates, insurance etc.)

I have obtained some great info from the RTA web site and downloaded the relevant forms.

However, I can’t seem to find too much info on managing the change from the current property managers (the RE) to ourselves.

Can anyone got any info (or can point us in the direction) of how to manage this change? Info like:-

• When can we contact the tennants
    • Can we sign a new lease with the tennants prior to settlement
    • How do we manage the change of rent payments. ie. last payment to RE and first payment to us
    • Transfer of bond ; is this just form 5 – Change of Lessor

Any info would be much appreciated.

PS. I’m especially interested in hearing from those that manage their own IP’s.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

You do not have an agreement with the agency to manage the property. The agreement is with the previous owner.

I would write a letter saying that you are taking over the tenancy management and to hand over the lease to you at settlement.

All the best [biggrin]

Investment Property Management
    http://www.adprop.com.au

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

We manager our IPs, all in the same suburb as ours. I am happy to help with any queries, but have never had to take over from an agent. Perhaps call the RTA and ask them whether Dr X is right.

RTA is very helpful and if they can’t help you, your solicitor should be able to.

Good luck

Wylie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.