All Topics / Value Adding / bricklaying costs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello all

Can anyone give me an idea of how bricklayers charge. Is it an hourly rate and if so does anyone know what it is in Melbourne.

One of my properties has a high brick fence which has been damaged by tree roots. I’ve had the tree removed and have just recieved 2 quotes through my property manager for its repair.

One is from a one stop maintenance company for just over $4K and the other from a bricklayer for $7.1K. [ohno]

We are talking about tearing down about 3.5 m of wall, replacing the foundations and rebuilding.

Unfortunatly I am on the other side of the world and it appears that this can’t wait till my next visit in February.

Any comment or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Elka

Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools

Bricklayers in Melbourne are charging between 80 cents and $1 per brick, depending on the job,plus materials.Most bricklayers don’t want to do the sort of job that you want…they just want to lay bricks.

Tools

Profile photo of jandmheadingjandmheading
    @jandmheading

G’day Elka,

A common site I use is http://www.archicentre.com.au/AUG2006costguide.pdf .

Labour rate is quoted as between $35-$51 per hour noting that smaller jobs may cost up to 50% more. If you use the $ associated with an extension (solid brick) $925 – $1775 per sqm.

All sounds costly and I guess I’d just ask for a reference or two from those quotes you have. I suggest that you also make sure there is some guarantee with the job. The last thing you need is for a cheap job that falls over in the years to come and injures someone.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for now,
    James
    [exhappy]

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Thank you James and Tools for your replies.

I sort of got the feeling, based on the large difference in price, that the quote from the bricklayer was the sort that said…I don’t really want the job but if your stupid enough to pay this price then OK. It did come with a 9 year gaurantee though.

I have asked for a 3rd quote from my PM and in the meantime will check out the link you gave me James.

Good point about references.

Thanks you both again. [smiling]
    Elka

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.