All Topics / Help Needed! / Neighbour Cracks Me Up

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of sbrodysbrody
    @sbrody

Hi all, hoping you could guide me with a problem I have with a neighbour who had done renovations to his unit which cause cracks on my walls.

I was wondering if anyone has had this unfortunate experience and could recommend the steps that I should take.

Also, I was wondering if there is any rules, regulations or procedures (in Vic) for an owner to do renovations to their unit before they commence.

Is there any other information that I require to take this matter further with my solicitor, or how would you suggest that I move forward with this matter.

Any help appreciated.

Profile photo of joshadelsajoshadelsa
    @joshadelsa

I’m not 100% sure on this one.

But I would be approaching the council to ensure he had council approval in the first place. If he hadn’t he would be 100% liable.

It would be wise to get legal advice to steer you in the right direction.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Joshua

Multiple Property Strategist
    Investor Finance
    [email protected]

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

The neighbour of an IP of mine (NSW) recently did a big reno. Before he did anything, he went into my place and did a detailed photo survey of the property. I assumed this was standard procedure.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello sbrody

This might sound stupid but have you actually tried talking to your neighbour about the problem. If so, what was his reaction.

Do you know what his renovations involved? If they were all internal I’m not sure he would need any coucil approval but the best way to find out is to ring the council and ask. If he did require approval, did he ask and recieve it.

You might want to have a building inspector have a look at the cracks to determine what actually caused the problem and how serious it is.

Your next step will be based on the above things.

Hope this helps
    Elka

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.