All Topics / General Property / License required to develop?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of ChangChang
    Participant
    @chang

Hi,

I am interested in getting into small residential and industrial developments. Do I need to get a developer’s license first if I want to get into speculative developments i.e. build then sell or lease out?

Also, if a relative or a friend asked me to help him with the management of a small development project for a FEE, do I need to have a license in order to act as project manager? Project manager as in helping my friend with the development applications, coordinate team members and find the right licensed builder to handle contruction stage.

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

as an investor you dont need a lisence, but you will be hiring a lisenced builder.

dont know if you need one to oversee someones elses project, you dont need one to oversee your own.

gross or michael yardney may be able to give you fuller answers to your questions, they are the development gurus on this forum!!!

We buy properties in Adelaide. Immediate Cash Settlements, No Real Estate Agents, No Fees.
    [email protected]
    phone 0412 437 582

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Chang,

If you have to ask this question, you really should consider using a service such as that offered by Metropole (Michael Yardney’s company), particularly for your first project. Property development sounds sexy and you can make a lot of money out of it, but you can also lose a lot.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi Chang
    this is from a ex guru or x it should be thanks for the confidance lift.
    I am sorry to say two thing first there are no guru as a guru told me once g stands for gee u stands for you r stands for are and u stands for you funny but true.
    second I would do my first development with abuilder on a small project why beacause then you to will make the mistakes and the strongest rose is the one that has to fight to survive you really only learn from your own or others mistakes and if you never make those mistakes you don’t know what to look out for.
    but let me answer your post as a developer you need your birth certificate to prove you are alive and that is it.
    you don’t even have to be 18 years old which you do to buy the property if you have consent of the owners to develop you can get a da or cc in and out of council you can organise a builder that has the correct licences and you can develop without any problem and if you come to some of the meeting here in sydney I will introduce you to my second eldest who is 16 and is currently doing this.
    and I am in the middle of organising a company and trust for him to do developing in his own right the end product will be held in the company/trust with any profit from his developments.
    have a chat with an accountant with regard to the structure you require or a trust person on this forum and good luck.
    post any questions and I will see if I can help but give it ago is my idea

here to help

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

So in a nutshell, the answer is ‘NO’
    No licence required.

The other thing is…what is the definition of a ‘developer’?

I have been building houses and doing small scale duplex and triplex developments since 1990, and I would not class myself as a ‘developer’
    It is one of the things that I do, and its more like an investment vehicle, or even a hobby.

I think you can get too hung up with titls and putting tags on your name…and calling yourself a developer is one of those hang ups.

If it interests you, just do it.

kp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.