All Topics / General Property / Warning – Thefts at Open for Inspections

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of dsmithdsmith
    @dsmith

Hi All,

Not sure how many of you saw the segment on the news last night about thefts at open for inspections in Melb. One showed a lady in Sandringham who had 36k worth of jewellery stolen during an open.

I’ve always wondered about security during an open but I would definitely hide any goodies if you are going down this path…

Regards
    Danny

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

There is also the fear that burglars use open houses to case the joint. Some even suggesting they discreetly unlock a window whilst pretending to be interested in buying….

Is something to be careful of when selling the family home!

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker

[email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

Talk to any principal of any agency and they will very quickly tell you they couldn’t possibility accept any liability or responsibility whatsoever for the security of a property or any of it’s contents during a “Home Open”.

Their suggestion is to hire a private security firm to guard every conceivable liability you think you may be exposed to. Great suggestion – that’ll really work ??

If you read the fine print of your insurance policy, you’ll also discover that most insurance companies will drop you like a hot potato if you’ve opened the doors up and let complete strangers walk thru your house unimpeded.

The agent standing there, taking names and phone numbers means absolutely nothing at all. Were those names & mobile phone numbers they jotted down 100% correct ?? Who checked ??

You are on your own folks with this one. Never be under the impression the agent will ‘look after it’.

Take no comfort at all from the “Yes folks – leave it with me, I’ll look after it for you and I’ll brief you in an hours time when it’s over.”

When push comes to shove, you quickly discover “it” = “nothing”.

Cheers,

Dazzling

“No point having a cake if you can’t eat it.”

Profile photo of dsmithdsmith
    @dsmith

Good call Dazzling re: the false mobile numbers and names. In the case at Sandringham, the police rang all 6 people who had been through the Open and guess how many were false? Just one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.