Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of luke__mooreluke__moore
    @luke__moore

Hi,

I’m new to the game and when searching for an area to look at closer I have been using research tools such as, RP Data, Residex, Homepriceguide, Commonwealth Bank Property Value Guide, Property value.com to name a few. The problem is, when comparing info there a discrepancies in the data. Which of these are more reliable? Or do you not use them?

Thanks
    Luke

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your post. I am regularly asked to what extent I use research services, so I’m sure your question is a common one.

Personally, I think that research can be beneficial to gain a context for an area. In particular, to gain a snapshot of the demographics and to then compare it to recent trends.

For example, factors I do pay attention to include:

1. Population movements in that I look to invest in areas with increasing population as this adds to housing pressure (i.e. capital appreciation)

2. Rental vacancies / statistics… what I’m looking for is how much rental demand there is in the area. This data can be found from the REIA (for a fee) or by doing some on the ground research by going into real estate agent’s offices and looking at how many properties are currently for rent.

What I do not pay much attention to is what a potential property sold for several years ago as I see this as largely irrelevant. If you think you can make money then that’s the important issue, not what the previous purchaser bought it for in a different market.

The danger in all this is to avoid, at all costs, analysis-paralysis as this will only lead to confusion and difficulty in pulling the investment trigger.

I’d be interested to know what data do you look at and how you use the information you collect.

Have a great day.

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney
    Originally posted by luke__moore:

Hi,

I’m new to the game and when searching for an area to look at closer I have been using research tools such as, RP Data, Residex, Homepriceguide, Commonwealth Bank Property Value Guide, Property value.com to name a few. The problem is, when comparing info there a discrepancies in the data. Which of these are more reliable? Or do you not use them?

Thanks
    Luke

Luke they are all a great start but that’s all they are…. a start

And as you say they give conflicting advice.

The next step is to pick out a geographic territory in which you will become an expert and learn all you can about it.

Then all the reasearch you are doing will make sense.

You will need to know much more than just what properties sell for. To become an expert you will have to get to know things like….
    1. Geographic layout
    2. Major street names
    3. Subdivision names
    4. Price ranges by major subdivisions and streets – prices achieved not asking prices
    5. Rental market data
    6. Future road plans
    7. Future developments in the planning stage
    8. Local employment statistics
    9. Employment trends and major impacts that may affect these trends
    10. Local private & public schools
    11. Public transportation routes
    12. Local council town planning and zoning rules and regulations

So the research reports are a start, but to be able to buy a property under market value you will have to do a lot of leg work

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 10,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of luke__mooreluke__moore
    @luke__moore

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply mate.

The information that we gather are from local council websites, mainly economic, demographic statistics as well as population trends. The unfortunate thing with this info is that it is old (from the last census). We also get rental and sales data form the DOH.

With regard to Rental vacancies / statistics I presume you mean the fewer in the shop window the better. I have found this info the hardest to get because estate agents clearly have there own agenda when parting with this information.

In terms of how we use this information, because we are looking for our first property, we really don’t know what we are doing! We have tried to be methodical with the info that we have gathered but as I mentioned earlier the sources they have discrepancies. So as you can see it’s a catch 22 there are ether discrepancies or it is out of date. We certainly feel we are in the grasps of analysis-paralysis.

I said to my wife this morning that we need to devise a simple and quick tool in analyzing this information, any suggestions? Is that the kind of thing you cover in your Buyer Beware book?

Thanks allot for your reply.
    Luke and Jodie

Profile photo of luke__mooreluke__moore
    @luke__moore

Thanks for your reply Michael,

There are allot of things to cover. We have covered most of these (forgot about the Public transportation routes though). Thanks.

Luke and Jodie

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Hi Luke

Michael and steve are dead right. You can look at all the reports you like. To research a market you have to understand what properties are worth and how much they will rent out for for. What you have to do is inspect all the properties for rent and sale in a given area. Talk to shop keepers, anyone you can find who will tell you about the area. This takes time but can be very rewarding.
    Otherwise you can use a professional like Michael or myself to assist you.

Nigel Kibel

http://www.propertyknowhow.com.au

Australian and New Zealand Buyers advocate
    service and seminars

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.