All Topics / Finance / Finance for unconventional situation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of tmcintoshtmcintosh
    @tmcintosh

Hi everyone, hope someone can please give me some tips here. My wife and I are looking to get some finance for investment properties but our situation is a little complicated and we’re getting different stories from everyone we ask. Basically I’m an IT consultant, contracting my services through my limited company that I set up in England when I moved there in 1998. As soon as I set the company up I started contracting to a major shipping company in England and I am still on that same contract now, even though I’ve moved home permanently last year to Brisbane (the nature of my work is such that I can work remotely – they gave me a laptop and I dial up every night and work UK hours from home). For this I’m getting gross about $4,000 Aus a week. The contract won’t go on forever with them even though it’s been going for almost 7 years – it will probably end next year, but I have good official qualifications that will ensure I get another contract here with little problem, albeit probably for a bit less. My wife doesn’t work, she’s Canadian and we just got married 2 months ago so she actually can’t work until her papers have gone through (but we’d rather she didn’t anyway – we’re hoping for Baby to join us next year). Between my savings and the profit from her sale of her house in Canada we’ve got about $80,000 Aus in the bank here, but obviously we want to use as little of that as possible with my work situation being the way it is.

So we’re trying to get 95% LVR from a lender that won’t charge outrageous interest rates. We’ve spoken to Aussie and Mortgage First but neither seemd too sure of what to tell us. One told us that because my limited company is incorporated outside Australia and my income is officially earned outside Aus (I pay tax in England as that’s where all my earnings are), I’m regarded as a non-resident and very few lenders are interested, and we’d struggle to get a 90% or 95% LVR. The other broker we talked to said Homeside would go for it but again they couldn’t guarantee the mortgage insurers would go for our getting 95% LVR. They also mentioned that the main problem is that with my money being earned overseas and being paid into an overseas bank account, if I defaulted on my payments they’d have no form of recourse. They did mention HSBC who, as a worldwide bank, would be one of the few who would have access to an overseas account like mine in times of trouble. Can anyone clarify this situation for us and give us a point in the right direction?

Thanks heaps,

Anthony

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Anthony

The trouble is not with the banks, it is with the mortgage insurers. There are only two in the whole of Aust. Generally mortgage insurers won’t touch overseas residents. I am not sure, but maybe you are an overseas resident for tax puroses, even tho living here???? If we can argue that you are a resident, then it may be possible. I’ll make some enquiries and get back to you.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

Hi again

I think it will be impossible for you to get approved by mortgage insurance. Due mainly to you being self employed overseas.

There are other lenders that may consider you at up to 95% LVR, but the interest rates are going to be high.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of tmcintoshtmcintosh
    @tmcintosh

Hi Terry,

Thanks a lot for this, this is useful. A couple more questions arise now though, anything you could advise please would be great –

– is it possible to contact either (or both) of the mortgage insurers to lobby our case directly with them?

– if we have to go Low-Doc, who do you recommend, and what kind of interest rates are we talking about here (Bluestone told me something around 10% I think, I don’t know if this is reasonable or unreasonable under the circumstances)

– if our problem is that all my earnings are in England, could I try to get the mortgage and mortgage insurance through a UK bank? I know nothing about how their mortgage industry works, or if I’d be ruled out because I don’t actually live there (although I do have indefinite clearance to work there)

Just trying to get a bit creative here – I’m never one to go to ground in the first tackle.

Thanks,

Anthony

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

1. Mortgage insurers are very rigid – they are unlikely to change their policy.

2. You need a low doc that doesn’t mortgage insure. If Bluestone will do it at 10% then that sounds reasonable (for this situation of course).

3. UK is unlikely to do it as security is outside UK. Similarly Aust lenders won’t lend against property in UK.

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of tmcintoshtmcintosh
    @tmcintosh

Okay thanks Stu, I understand now. I assume all this goes for normal residential property – what if I was to start looking at commercial property, storage sheds, parking lots, anything like that? Would anyone be likely to lend, even if it’s at 80% LVR? I think Bluestone said no to that.

Thanks,

Anthony

Participant
    @terryw

If your looking at Commercial, then even an Australia resident working here would have trouble getting 80%. Parking lots etc will be even lower – maybe 50% LVR of less.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Email Me

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.