All Topics / General Property / Rent reliant

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of comdomcomdom
    Participant
    @comdom

Hi,
    Can anybody tell me what the banks mean by rent reliant?
    Thanks Dom[;)]

Profile photo of CahKingCahKing
    Participant
    @cahking

Hi Dom. I presume that you are trying to arrange finance for a rental property without having a “Job”. Sorry if I’m wrong. But I would imagine that they are unwilling to lend if you don’t have a job, as you would be reliant on the rent (rent reliant)…..and if you had no tenant for a period of time, how would you pay them???

That’s all I think it could be.

Cheers
    Ca$hking[:)]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi Dom/Cashking

It’s not just the lack of a job. It’s the fact that a LOT of your income to service your debts is rent.

We are in that position also. Some of the brokers on here may be able to give you some tips, or different banks even to get around your banks opinion.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

comdom, check out this month’s issue of Australian Property Investor (API). It has a case study in there of a couple who are entirely “rent dependent” and the banks won’t lend them money. I think they are even struggling to get no doc loans now. They have something like $4m in property value and owe $2.5m.

Their situation made me decide i had better keep my job if I want to keep loan eligibility :O)

Serviceability of a loan is one of the things a bank assesses before deciding to offer you a loan. Serviceability assesses your income and rent is only a parft of that. Most banks will want you to have a job with a decent income too.

There are a squillion low doc home providers on here. Check out some of the other posts to find them :O) A mortgage broker can probably find you a loan for free- there’s heaps of them on here too.

kay

Profile photo of AdamlAdaml
    Participant
    @adaml

Hi Guy,s

Just a thought.
    There is also another interesting article in the latest API issue, titled Unlimited Finance, page 28. You might find this of interest.

@melbear

Hey Porsche

The author of that article – Stuart – posts on here quite often.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Banks often use the old ‘too rent reliant’ line. The trouble is, it is hard to define when you actually reach this level. Different lenders have different polices, and they don’t really make these policies known.

It basically means the proportion of you income comming from rent is too high compared to other income. The lenders may deem you to be too sensitive to the property market, so any sligh rise in interest rates could get you in trouble. Having positive cashflow property may help to a certain degree, but they can (and do) say you are too rent reliant if all your properties are cashflow +ve.

There are ways around it, such as using several banks, low doc loans, bigger deposits (lower LVRs) etc. But most people will run into this problem sooner or later.

I suggest you have a look at Stuarts article from API magazine for some ideas on finance. It is available from his website if you don’t subscribe.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of comdomcomdom
    Participant
    @comdom

Thanks everyone for the information this rent reliant Quote was given to me by the morgage broker i have been using to purchase IP. I do have a job i work for Arnnot’s Buiscuits and have 3Ip’s and have found a 4Th but thinking i may go to an other bank.This has been a dilema for me for a few weeks to move forward because other banks tell me i have to move one of my loans with them to borrow for an Ip.Which i prefer not to so i can have it as a stand alone.I probably have (guessing) $230000 In equity and $620000 In loans all positive geared.
    Again thanks evryone for your information makes it a little clearer.
    Dom[;)]

@melbear

Hi Dom

Banks always want to steal business from other banks! It makes their eyes light up.

You could still take one of the other properties across, and keep it as a stand alone. Just find out what deal they are offering, and see if it’s better than what you have currently, and whether or not your current bank will match it.

You could always tell the new bank that you will be purchasing more property and they will be able to offer you a loan on that one too.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of ComsolComsol
    Participant
    @comsol

Hi Terry,

Any idea of the website address for the article you mentioned by Stuart?

Cheers,

David [8D]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sorry, I am only guessing but think it is
    http://www.prosolutions.com.au

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.