All Topics / The Treasure Chest / WHICH RISK IS BETTER

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of IREENAIREENA
    @ireena

Looking at investing for a while now but scared to do so. I’m 23 with one 10 month girl and another on the way in June.

I won a house with my mum in Plumpton nsw worth $300, bought for $182. My partner has his own house bought for 200k now worth 300-390k.

We have been offered a great deal from a friend who is building flats in Fitzroy St, St Kilda. He claims that he will let us have two appt for 420-460 each, both facing Albert Park -races held there etc.. Classy street…. good returns if leased out.

Anyhow, our ideas are either to sell at settlement and make a profit as the buy price is from 1999 being a friendly gesture from this legendary friend. The flats are expected to be with betweem 600-700 in 2005 when released.

What are the bad things with the above??

I have also located a nice house & land in Merrylands closer to us…for 380-480k, 3 beds and huge block of 620sqm…good for renting out or renovating a little first and maybe knock it down after a while and build on it and lease our current home????

I need serious help….

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Ireena,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the PropertyInvesting.com community.

In respect to general things to look our for, I’d strongly recommend you read my 10 Laws of property investing success that have been outlined in editions of Insider to date (the monthly newsletter).

Specifically though, you raise a good topic of converstaion about the concept of delayed equity.

These units that you mention you could buy for $460k today and might be worth as much as $700k when they are completed in 2005. Plus, being in Vic. you will also save on stamp duty.

I have no experience in buying this kind of property but I have the following concerns:

1. If you make a mistake, then given the numbers involved, it is likely to be as expensive one. If you want to invest in property I’d encourage you to start with smaller deals and then work your way up.

2. I have friends you purchased a property on St. Kilda road several years ago under the same kind of promise and recently took possession. The property is only just worth what they paid, and if they sold, less than what they paid when you factor in sale costs.

3. I believe that the type of tenant you’ll attract will be a transitory tenant, rather than the more stable family tenant. This adds to the risk in the investment.

4. Interest rates are more likely to go up than down in the medium term, which means that buy the time you settle your likely repayments will be higher than they would be now. Be sure that any financial data you inspect allows for this.

5. About your friend… I don’t want to jump the gun here, but is your friend paid a commission when you buy? ie. is he a sales agent? Hmmmm. Something doesn’t seem quite right about what you have written and smells a bit fishy.

6. Ask for some kind of comparatives with other projects in the area to see if the projections on other deals worked out as planned. There is a huge difference between a budget and reality.

Ok… it’s clear that you need some sort of plan before you do anything [:)]

Work out what it is that you want (and try not to be greedy). Seriously, for $25 a good place to start is the Fast Track tape (available from the resources area). Even if you don’t want +ve cashflow it talks about how to find an area that would be a good place to invest.

I’m concerned by the numbers you are talking about… there seems to be too much risk for someone beginning.

Regards,

Steve McKnight

P.S. Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of IREENAIREENA
    @ireena

Hi Steven,

Yeah, i have actaully been looking at some smaller investments since my last message (such as flats in the local area that only cost between 100-200K and can give a steady return)- i can see your point when it comes to my “friend” but he is like a brother to my hubby and is the actual developer (well he and his brother) and are going to family first to give them a head start, also teaching them how to do what he is doing…eitherway i am a bit scared of such a big investment…..

Will show my hubby your notes, maybe we can draw up more realistic goals…
    again, thanks
    ireena

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi again,

I doubt that your friend is / will rip you off… but it’s likely to be a good way to start his project to have you sign on (from his perspective) since he will need some pre-sales for both his marketing and also to get financing for the project.

Tread carefully and don’t let friendship or greed (or hype) get in the way of cold are facts… and read the old editions of the newsletter before you do anything!

Bye

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘WHICH RISK IS BETTER’ is closed to new replies.